You are here

Mechanical Industry


Paths to Licensing

New to the mechanical industry?  Get on the path to a license! Follow the steps below:


License Renewal for Licensed Mechanical


Maintaining Your Active License

Already have a license? Follow steps below to help keep it maintained.




Bond and Insurance Requirements and Forms

Bond and Insurance is required to activate your Contractor license, the following must be provided to the Construction Industries Board:


Continuing Education

Complete six (6) hours of CEUs every 36 months. The following courses are offered for the mechanical industry on a month by month basis. Please see the current schedule and times to enroll.


Documents and Applications


Rules and Laws


Mechanical Industry Committees/Boards


Further Resources


Mechanical Industry FAQs

Q: Does the Mechanical Licensing Act require someone to be licensed in order to clean air ducts in Oklahoma?

A: .Currently, the performance of air duct cleaning does not require a state license in Oklahoma. For statutes and rules on Mechanical licensure, please see 59 O.S. §1850.1, et seq. and OAC 158:50. 


Q: What are the Continuing Education requirements?

A: All Journeymen and Contractors are required to have received six (6) hours of continuing education within the preceding thirty-six (36) months of their license expiration. Visit the Mechanical Industry page for a list of approved CEU courses under “Continuing Education”.


Q: If I fail the test when can I take it again?

A: Thirty (30) days after the first failure, and ninety (90) days after subsequent failure(s).


Q: My contractor has not provided me with the hours I have worked for him so I can prove my experience counts towards licensing. What can I do?

A. Send a written request to the contractor. Contact the CIB if the contractor fails to provide the information after written request.


Q: How can I prove my hours of experience when the contractors I have worked for are dead or out of business?

A: You may use tax records or contact your social security office and request a “Work History Report” and submit a copy of those documents with your application.


Q: What license does it take to install, replace or repair radiant-floor heating systems in a commercial building?

A. A Mechanical HVAC or a Plumbing license is allowed to install in residential homes only. Installation in a commercial building requires a Mechanical HVAC license, and if more than 500,000 Btu/h per appliance then the Mechanical HVAC license must be an Unlimited license.


Q: Is an apprentice application required every year for apprentice work?

A: Yes. In order for apprentice work experience to be counted towards licensing, it must be verifiable through apprentice registration, unless lawfully obtained while exempted.


Q: Does a licensed contractor have to sign off on the apprentice application every year?

A: Yes, the licensed contractor or approved school/training instructor has to sign the application for the apprentice every year.


Q: Does the CIB keep track of the apprentice hours worked yearly?

A: No, the licensed contractor must, and the apprentice should, keep an account of the apprentice hours worked each year.


Q: I need an application / renewal form / I did not get my renewal form.

A: The application is available for download from this website by going to “Forms/Applications” and clicking on the specific form. Forms are also available at the CIB office, or a form can be mailed to you upon request. When a licensee or registrant has a change in address or phone number, notice to the CIB is required.